Cell phones that only dial 911 are available for clients. Please contact us for more information
MYTH: ALCOHOL ABUSE CAUSES DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.|
FACT: Although there is a high correlation between alcohol, or other substance abuse, and domestic violence, it is not the cause.
If you are in immediate danger please call 911 or the |
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800 799 SAFE (7233)
Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) Hotline:
800 656 HOPE (4673)
Working Against Violence, Inc (WAVI) Crisis Line: 888 716 WAVI (9284)
Are you being abused?
Safety Plan (Personalize your own)
Domestic Violence is a systematic pattern of CONTROLLING, COERCIVE and VIOLENT behaviors intended to PUNISH, ABUSE, and ultimately CONTROL the thoughts, beliefs, and actions of another. Domestic Violence is about POWER and CONTROL. It includes:
Sexual Assault is an act of VIOLENCE, any non-consensual or unwanted sexual touching or sexual act. Sexual Assault is an expression of ANGER, POWER, and AGGRESSION; it is about CONTROL and DOMINATION; NOT about sex. Sexual Assault is a CRIME. It includes:
- Threats of suicide
- Destruction of property
- Mind Games
- Hair Pulling
- Preventing Employment
- Unpredictable Behavior
- Abuse of Animals
- Name calling
- Use of Weapons
- Denying access to family income
- Acquaintance or Date Rape
- Marital Rape
- Sexual Harassment
- Indecent Exposure
- Stranger Rape
- Any unwanted Sexual Contact
- Child Molestation
To report abuse contact your local law enforcement agency or dial 911. If you would like a Case Manager to accompany you throughout this process please contact WAVI at
605 341-3292 or 888 716-9284 (WAVI)
You Have the Following Rights:
Local Law Enforcement and Emergency Services
- The right to be treated with fairness and with respect for the victim's dignity and privacy.
- The right to be reasonably protected from the accused offender.
- The right to be notified of court proceedings.
- The right to be present at all public court proceedings related to the offense, unless the court determines that testimony by the victim would be materially affected if the victim heard other testimony at trial.
- The right to confer with attorney for the Government in the case.
- The right to restitution.
- The right to information about the conviction, sentencing, imprisonment, and release of the offender.
Pennington County Sheriffs Office
Dispatch - 605 394-2151 Investigations - 605 394-6115
Rapid City Police Department
Dispatch - 605 391-4131 Investigations - 605 391-4134
Box Elder Police Department
Rapid City Regional Emergency
Sioux San Hospital -605 355-2500
For a listing of local Domestic Violence shelters please visit:
The South Dakota Network Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
South Dakota Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault